web page hit counter

Thursday, July 28, 2005

Screams from hunger


CNN has a Behind The Scenes series where CNN correspondents share their experiences in covering news.

Excerpt from article:

For a journalist who has covered refugee camps across Africa -- from Darfur, Sudan, to Eastern Congo to Liberia -- each time there is the haunting feeling of a desperate child staring up at you with big, brown eyes.

The feeling is one of helplessness, but there is nothing one can do. We're just here to tell the story. But at the end of the day, the experience is heart-wrenching and very draining.

My friend Steve touched this subjest in his (( ardent )) blog recently.

2 Comments:

At 28 July, 2005 18:21, Blogger ...steven said...

This stuff is hard. There are many of us willing to read the story, a number willing to tell it - but few who want to become a part of it.

 
At 29 July, 2005 04:16, Blogger Mark said...

Well said Steve.

This Behind the Scene story particularly caused me to wonder since this is an eyewitness account.....are we really willing to see it through the reporter's eyes? Would we react differently if we personally knew someone in such condition?

How many reactions could we have? I am a real black and white guy, and see things very practically, so IMHO, are there more than 2 possible reactions?

1, we either become more stiff-necked, turning our hearts away and rationalize it somehow

OR

2, we die more to ourselves and find a way to reach out.

This is hard. It is like when I read a Scripture passage.. I reflect, admit that God is right, and I ultimately come to a point to say..."Now I know. What am I going to do?"

That is why this is hard. Now we know. What are we going to do?

I think for most of us, it is enough to just feel uncomfortable, even if only for a time. My prayer is that we don't stay that way for long and choose #2.

Mark

 

Post a Comment

<< Home