web page hit counter

Saturday, April 01, 2006

Emergent reviews in latest CTR

The Criswell College has just published the latest Criswell Theological Review.

If you're interested in the Emergent Church or the church of the future on any level, this review contains some very interesting stuff: from an interview with Brian McLaren to an article from Mark Driscoll on a pastoral perspective on emergent.

A good friend and professor of New Testament at Criswell,
Denny Burk, has posted about emergent reviews in the latest CTR, and has several links to other blogs and websites that are posting about the Criswell Theological Review. Check out his blog.

With my calling to go into full time vocational ministry and all my studying and serving leading me to love, learn, and understand God better, this is an utmost important topic. But considering my current work and study obligations, I am having difficulty finding enough time to absorb and digest the whole counsel of thought and opinions on the emergent church.

My introduction to the emergent movement began about 2 years ago with reading Dan Kimball's 'The Emergent Church'. I really ate this book up and was excited to see how much good that can come from understanding the next generation of beleivers / potential believers. Since that first book, I read through popluar books by some of the other emergent writers getting a lot of attention, like Donald Miller's, 'Blue Like Jazz', and Rob Bell's 'Velvet Elvis'. Very interesting and provocative books. I have posted briefly on some of my evolving thoughts,
here, and another emergent link here .

From where I stand right now, I would like to see us move forward with unchanging emphasis on Biblical doctrines, and an ever evolving process of being Christ to the world, always increasing our commitment to serve God doing church to reach the lost. The latest tag for the
C3 conference at my church, Fellowship Church, sums up some of my sentiment very well: God is. Church Evolves.

Side note: this is a wondrous and excitng time for my Christian spiritual growth. I feel extremely blessed and poised for impact in our culture as I continue to be involved in a church and school that are truly in the flow of moving with God as He continues to draw the world to Himself.

Grace and peace,

2 Comments:

At 02 April, 2006 13:22, Blogger Denny Burk said...

Hey bro,

Thanks for plugging the journal on your blog.

Denny Burk

 
At 17 April, 2006 07:32, Blogger Mark said...

Bill,

thanks for the recommendation, I will check it out.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home